• Home
  • Blog
  • Introducing our plastic free, conditioning shampoo bars

How we make our plastic free, conditioning shampoo bars

With 90% of standard shampoo being water and the other 10% various foaming agents and fragrances, we wanted to create a shampoo bar that was zero waste, plastic free, vegan friendly, palm oil free that would reduce plastic waste and be formulated with the same ethos as our soaps.

Standard shampoo bars are made from traditional soap and require a transition period. Following this phase, many report great success, supplementing with treatments like apple cider hair rinse to bring shine to the hair. After a year of trying to make shampoo bars using the same cold processed method that we use for soaps, we were unable to create a bar that we were truly happy with. Realising the natural PH of our hair requires something milder than a soap. We took some advice from some industry experts who helped us explore the benefits of mild, surfactants derived from coconuts whilst retaining our ethos of planet and skin kind products.

It took some time to research and develop a recipe which included ingredients that were palm oil free and vegan friendly. Add to that another year of testing and here we are with a fully certified conditioning shampoo bar.  

Click here to purchase

We’ve also answered some of your questions:


Is there a transition period?

No, unlike solid soap shampoo bars, there will not be a transition period

How do you use the shampoo bar?

Apply the bar to wet hair and massage into the scalp. I usually leave it on for a few minutes then rinse off. For hair that needs a lot of conditioning, I would recommend a good second wash.

Tip -  if you’re new to shampoo bars, at first it might not feel like you’ve traditionally conditioned your hair, but don’t worry. Once you comb through your hair it should be super soft and ready to style.

How long does it last?

It really depends on how long your hair is, and how often you use it. Our testers have been averaging around 40 washes per bar, sometimes more, sometimes less. You may find you don’t need to wash your hair as often.

Tip – A little goes a long way

Will I need a conditioner?

90% of our testers said they do not need to condition their hair after using. Others found that they needed to condition once per week or a monthly conditioning mask. Everyone’s hair is very different.

Tip: If you have longer hair and feel like it needs a little more conditioner, we recommend a second wash just through the ends, leaving on for an extra few minutes.

How do I store my shampoo?

To prolong the life of your shampoo, keep dry in between uses and away out of standing water.

What’s in our shampoo bars?

Coconut derived surfactants (foaming agents) along with hair loving butters, oils and our own unique blend of essential oils. We are in the process of updating our ingredients library which will explain why we have chosen each ingredient.

If you have any questions on the shampoo bars, please drop us a email and we'll get back to you as quickly as we can.

Click here to purchase our conditioning shampoo bars